It’s the most romantic day of the year, so if you’re going out to dinner with your sweetie and want to indulge a little, that’s great! You can still indulge without wrecking your good eating for the week by trying a few of these tips.
1) View the Menu– Look up the menu online before heading to the restaurant and then try to stick to your guns once you get there (by not checking out the menu a second time). When you’re at home you’re not caught up in the moment and you may be thinking a little clearer.
2) I Love Bread– Eat a piece of bread already! Instead of sending the bread basket away as soon as it’s placed on the table, take a piece of two and then have the server take ‘er away!
3) Do the Splits– I know this is a pretty common tip, but it’s worth mentioning since many restaurants serve entrees the size of a three-month old. Split an entree and a salad with your partner. Some restaurants charge a fee up to $5 to split plates, however it’s still less expensive than buying two separate entrees!
4) Salad Savior– If you order a side salad, get the dressing on the side and dip your fork tongs into it before stabbing the lettuce. You will use way less dressing than you would if you put it on the salad and will save a good amount of calories in the process.
5) Don’t Wine Before Dinner– Drink a glass of wine with dinner, but have a coffee or a club soda with lime beforehand. When you drink on an empty stomach, the alcohol hits your bloodstream faster causing your inhibitions to turn to poo. You very well could eat all of your meal, as well as half of your honey’s and still ask for the biggest dessert they have.
6) Hot N’ Steamy– Ask the server to sub out one side for steamed veggies. Most entrees come with a couple sides such as a potato and vegetable. Many of the vegetable sides are sautéed (which is another word for “fried”) in oil. Simply replace the usual veggie with a steamed veggie. You won’t feel like you’re missing out and you still get your beloved potato.
7) “Don’t Be Cruel”– Elvis- Be nice to the wait staff. They work incredibly hard, and if you are good to them, they will be much more willing to accommodate any special requests you may have.
8) Don’t Forget Dessert– When I think of Valentine’s Day, I automatically think of chocolate. So you have to get a dessert on this special occasion! Just share it. Also, order a coffee or latte to chase the deliciousness down. And voila, perfect dinner complete!
Valentine’s Day Freebies and Deals
You know I love food, but I also love a good deal, and if it’s FREE? Well, that just makes me the happiest girl! Below you’ll find freebies and deals I discovered that are in honor of Valentine’s Day.
Get out there and take advantage of these offers quickly because most of them expire February 14th.
Quoba– On Valentine’s Day, buy one burrito, get one FREE (when you smooch someone!).
Redbox– Use promo code R2HN3VXM to rent any DVD FREE for a one day rental. One use only. Expires today, 2/13/15 @11:59pCT.
McDonald’s– From February 2nd through Valentine’s Day, McDonald’s randomly selects customers to “Pay With Lovin’.” Whether it’s a hug or a fist bump, the customer will get their order for FREE. If you missed their commercial promoting the deal during the Super Bowl, you can watch it on the link provided. Of course, I cried.
Starbucks– On February 13th from 2pm to close, they’re offering a special $5 pairing menu. Choose from: Caffè Verona and Coffee Press for Two and a Double Chocolate Chunk Brownie, a Tall Flat White and a Chocolate Croissant or a Grande Raspberry Mocha or White Chocolate Mocha and a Heart Sugar Cookie.
Quizno’s– FREE cookie with the purchase of a regular sub and regular drink (don’t forget to print the coupon from the link. Expires 2/25/15).
Thanks to Saving Everyday.
I hope you all have the most wonderful Valentine’s Day!!! Xoxo