If you missed “I Need Me Some Discipline: Part One” from a couple days ago, I suggested a few tips to amp up your self-control for the New Year. I wanted to bring you one more method that I feel works very well. Enjoy!
DON’T LIMIT YOUR SELF-DISCIPLINE
Discipline is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it will become. When working on self-discipline, don’t limit it to any one area, e.g., restricting your calories.
Practice your self-restraint in other areas of your life as well, not just when it comes to exercise and eating healthfully.
Here are some easy exercises for strengthening your discipline muscle.
1) Don’t stall in the shower. Start turning off the water immediately after you are done cleaning your bod. I know, it is heavenly standing underneath the hot stream of water and zoning out for a while, but think of it this way; you will shave a couple minutes off the amount of time it takes for you to get ready and it will save some water! Killed two birds.
2) Sort the mail as soon as you walk in the house. It’s so easy to set the stack of bills and credit card offers aside with the rest of the mail that has been piling up for the last week and a half, but start opening up those envelopes. I suggest beginning the process as you walk back from the mail box. You are more likely to continue once inside the house.
3) Call the person back as soon as you have listened to the voicemail they left you. If that means you’ll put off listening to their message for days, then get back to the person as soon as you see their name on your missed calls list.
Here are a few more ideas…
4) Resist the urge to check Facebook for an a few days.
5) If you watch TV when you go to bed, try reading a book instead.
6) When you see a piece of trash on the ground while walking into the grocery store, don’t just leave it there, pick it up and throw it in the garbage.
7) Wake up 10-15 minutes earlier everyday for an entire week.
8) Instead of visiting a coffee shop every morning on your way to work, make your coffee at home and bring it in a travel mug.
9) While walking the dog, take an extra lap around the block for several days.
10) Get out of bed in the morning without pushing the snooze button for one week straight.
11) When trying on clothes in the department store dressing room, hang the clothes that you do not want back on their hangers and return them to their designated spot.