Ok folks, spring is just around the corner, and as of yesterday, we’re already 1/6 of the way through 2016! I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling like a change is much needed around here. Don’t get me wrong, I’m blessed to have what I have, but my life could still use some sprucing up.
Take my daily routine, for example. I have a tendency to get wrapped up in it. My routine is comfortable. Established. Steady. For me, a daily routine is super important, especially in the morning. Good habits are reinforced and since all my morning ablutions are ingrained in the ole noggin, I’m automatically productive.
However, when days seem to be a repeat of the day before, they slip by so fast, and all of a sudden, we’re in a pretty deep rut. And although routines are familiar, it gets boring!
So, for the next 30 days, I’m attempting to accomplish one thing I wouldn’t normally do in my regular routine. Everyday it will be a new mini-mission.
Now this action won’t be some huge daily undertaking such as eating live insects or peeing in public. I consider what I’ll be doing to be more of a tweak.
Whether it’s to push past procrastination, send me out of my comfort zone, or simply try something new, over the next 30 days I’m hoping my resistance will fade when it comes to straying from my safe routine.
I have no clue if this will inspire bigger changes later on down the line. I’d like to think these small, temporary changes could lead to a couple new habits. But who knows, I might look back at this little experiment and decide it was a total waste of energy.
In the mean time though, I’m looking forward to opening myself up to new possibilities, maybe finding a more efficient way of following through on a task, and at the very least, having a cool experience.
Ok, let’s get this show on the road!
Take a Single Action for 30 Days
In no particular order, I’ve listed 30 things I’d like to accomplish during the next 30 days. While some are super easy, others will take a smidge more effort.
1) Write out a detailed to-do list.
2) Go to the beach for no other reason than to sit and decompress.
3) Drink 96 oz of water.
4) Be in bed by 11 pm.
5) Go hiking on a new trail.
6) Take a stab at an intimidating recipe.
7) Plan out 7 days of dinners in advance.
8) Go through/clean out one box in the garage.
9) After the trash has been collected, take a neighbors empty garbage bin back up to their garage. (BTW, for more ideas on how to let your thoughtfulness shine through, take a look at my post on acts of kindness!)
10) Attend church.
11) Gather and/or purchase materials to start my DIY project.
12) Start my DIY project.
13) Compliment a stranger either on social media or in person.
14) Experience a canyoneering trip.
15) Spend 10 minutes on 10 different projects.
16) Call a friend I’ve been meaning to catch up with.
17) Give meditation a shot.
18) Instead of wearing gym clothes, dress up for no particular reason.
19) Go an entire day without playing games on my phone.
20) Try a new bottle of wine.
21) List my first item on eBay.
22) Take an evening drive in my convertible.
23) Invite someone over for dinner.
24) Have lunch in a park.
25) Go to a coffee shop to work on my computer.
26) Complete a project with a deadline ahead of time, as opposed to waiting till the last minute.
27) Set a timer for 30 minutes and round up items to donate to Goodwill.
28) Work out on the rowing machine.
29) Stop by my husband’s office just to say hi.
30) Write a positive review when receiving great service.
As you can see, none of these are wackadoo scary. They are, however, a little more challenging than choosing to wear a different pair of tennis shoes to the gym. Regardless, I’m excited to see what, if anything, happens as a result of performing one of my daily to-do’s.
In addition to the actions above, there’s also a daily yoga challenge I am completing. Everyday on Instagram, I’ll be posting a photo of myself doing the designated pose of the day. You can check out my progress here! And if you’re interested in taking on the challenge with me, follow my 30 Day Yoga Challenge board on Pinterest.
What about you guys? Does anybody have some other ideas for the daily to-do? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Would you like to receive Hungry Beastling’s posts in your inbox? Sign up right here!
And while you’re at it, let’s connect:-)